SPOT is a tradition that stands on in-person community building amongst the incoming frosh, transfers and upper-class students. Because of the COVID-19 outbreak and the cancellation of all in-person off-campus pre-orientation programs at Stanford, SPOT will be taking a break this year. Being SPOTlet is not the only way to experience SPOT, check out our academic classes to lead SPOT 2021!
What is SPOT?
Stanford Pre-Orientation Trips are immersive, outdoor experiences that take place the week before New Student Orientation and are designed to ease the transition of students to life at Stanford as well as foster Stanford Identity, community, and personal growth through activity, self-reflection, and mentorship.
Trips and Types
- SPOT trips are five and a half days long and are aimed at easing your transition to life at Stanford.
- SPOT finishes immediately before New Student Orientation.
- There are no experience requirements for SPOT.
- SPOT offerings include adventures in Basecamping and Wilderness Backpacking. They are all open to all experience levels! No experience necessary!
What about physical ability, camping experience or other prep?
SPOT isn’t about physical exertion, but instead the immersive experience, preparing for college and getting to know your group and leaders! Some trip types involve hiking and camping. No problem if you are new to this sort of thing — most are! That being said, all trips involve physical activities and your own human power to either carry your food/gear to a campsite or destination.
SPOT leads the Stanford Experience by…
- Empowering personal growth through challenge, self-reflection and mentorship.
- Developing awareness of interconnectedness and value of community within the Stanford environment.
- Contributing students to the campus community prepared to actively participate and lead.
Be a part of THIS Stanford tradition and have a ton of fun doing it!
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Outdoor Center Phone: (650) 736-7768
Below this line is the historical information we are saving for later. See above for the most up-to-date information during COVID-19.
How to Register
- SPOT Registration opens during the summer quarter. For 2020-2021, the dates are June 16 – 21, 2020.
- Placement will be decided by a lottery process in cases where the registration exceeds the number of spaces.
- Once your registration is confirmed and you’ve been placed on a SPOT trip, you will receive an email with details about your trip.
- Download and READ your welcome packet and equipment list
- You need to complete a Medical History form and Gear Request form and sign a waiver of liability by August 3rd.
- Arrive on campus Thursday, September 16th around 12pm.
SPOT 2020 Registration Dates
- The SPOT Lottery Application opens on June 16th at 8am PST and closes on June 21st at 5pm PST.
- SPOT 2020 program dates: Thursday, September 10th at 1pm PST to Wednesday, September 16th at 7:30am PST
The following two forms are required for each individual to participate in SPOT. Each form must be completed fully in blue or black ink, signed and dated, with original copies returned by mail or in-person by July 31st to: SPOT, 285 Santa Teresa St, Stanford, CA 94305.
Please double check that you have completed each and every line and include all allergies and medical information that is pertinent to your ability to participate in SPOT.
Front and back. A parent or guardian must also sign this form if you will still be under 18 when the trip begins.
Let us know what gear you will be borrowing