Physical Wellness Courses
Physical wellness consists of recognizing the need for physical activity, healthy food, sleep, stress management, social interaction, illness and injury prevention, and management of chronic health conditions. Physical wellness allows individuals to engage in daily activities without undue fatigue or physical stress.
We educate, motivate and support Stanford students to live a healthy, active lifestyle. We encourage the development of body and mind based practices within the areas of wellness.
Being active, relieving stress, creating socially interactive environments, and having fun are the primary goals of the Physical Wellness program. We offer opportunities to learn new skills and concepts through a variety of lifetime physical activity courses including yoga, Pilates, aquatics, fitness, racquet sports, golf, horsemanship, and martial arts. These courses are tailored to help students stay active, manage stress, meet others with common interests, have fun, and create a positive attitude toward well-being and physical activity.
Learn – To learn new lifetime physical activities
Apply – Apply these skills, insights, and learnings into your own daily life.
Transform – Transform the way you live your life and impact the people around you.
Stanford Physical Wellness offers courses that focuses on proper mechanics of human movement and their applications to exercise and lifetime physical activities; along with incorporating various dimensions of wellness into a healthy and balanced lifestyle. Common learning outcomes among Stanford’s physical education course offerings include:
- Proper execution of the skills associated with the activity level (beginner, intermediate, advanced)
- Demonstrate proper skill form and biomechanics
- Identify basic concepts associated with the activity
- Identify health-related components of fitness (cardiovascular endurance, muscular strength and endurance, and flexibility) as it relates to the specific activity
- Implement intelligent choices within their lives that contribute to a healthy, active lifestyle