Participant Expectations Aggressive, unsafe or reckless behavior is explicitly forbidden in Stanford Athletic facilities and programs. This includes, but is not limited to, the following: Promoting or engaging in physical abuse, verbal abuse, threats, intimidation, harassment, coercion and/or other conduct which threatens or endangers the health or safety of any person. The use of “fighting words” to harass any employee or participant in connection with official University functions or University sponsored programs is also prohibited.
UNAUTHORIZED ENTRY A valid Stanford SUID card or pass is required for access to all Stanford Athletic facilities and programs. In addition, entering unauthorized areas such as offices and maintenance workshops without the express permission of Stanford Athletics will be considered trespassing.
FORGERY Sharing identification cards for access into Stanford Athletic facilities or programs is considered forgery. Forgery, altering identification cards, providing false information in connection with a membership application or program form, or unauthorized use or misuse of any University document, record, key, electronic device, or identification is strictly prohibited. SUID confiscation, additional sanctions and restrictions may apply including a loss of privileges and/or a report to the Dean of Students Office.
SOLICITATION Short Term sponsorship privileges provide our Stanford Affiliates the opportunity to share use and enjoyment of Stanford Athletic facilities with individuals with whom they have an established relationship. In the interest of the safety of all users, Stanford Affiliates should refrain from sponsoring individuals who are unknown to them and to report any solicitations to do so to Stanford Athletic staff.
DISORDERLY CONDUCT Engaging in disorderly or lewd conduct, including being under the influence of alcohol or controlled substances, is strictly prohibited.
PHOTOGRAPHY AND VIDEO TAPING Photography or videotaping of individuals in or images of the facilities must have prior Department and campus approval.
UNAUTHORIZED COMMERCIAL ACTIVITY Posting, advertising, conducting unauthorized private lessons or training, soliciting individuals in Stanford Athletic facilities for personal services, businesses, or agencies is strictly prohibited.
In addition to the pursuance of Stanford University’s Fundamental Standard, the following policies are to be understood and followed by EVERYONE who participates in recreational programming and uses the recreational facilities:
- The use of Stanford University Recreational Facilities is a privilege, and participants are expected to be good citizens and respect the rights of others. Individuals who choose to engage in unacceptable behavior may have their access suspended or revoked indefinitely.
- Entrance/Exit must be done through the designated main entrance.
- For both security and utilization tracking, all participants using the facility must check in at the Front Desk and present their valid SUID card or Daily Rec Pass upon entering all Recreational Facilities.
- Proper athletic attire must be worn when participating (non-marking athletic shoes with closed heel and toe) on court surfaces and no jeans in the fitness center. Suggestive clothing and clothing with offensive language and/or graphics is prohibited
- No person under the age of 18yrs old is allowed into the Fitness Center (unless you are a Stanford University student or staff member).
- Family members and participants of groups renting spaces within the Recreation Facilities are prohibited from using the Fitness Center, varsity athlete equipment (including spin bikes or indoor rowing equipment), basketball courts, squash/racquetball courts, or climbing walls.
- All non-participants under 18yrs old must be supervised by an adult at all times.
- No posting of flyers, posters or other literature is permitted in any Recreational or Fitness Facility without prior approval from the department. Students interested in posting flyers for recruitment of study subjects for academic use must contact the Recreation Services Staff for approval.
- Smoking is not permitted in the facility.
- Skateboards, in-line skates, roller skates are not permitted in the facility.
- No glass containers or alcoholic beverages are permitted in the facility.
- Pets, other than Service Animals, are prohibited in all facilities. In compliance with applicable law, Stanford generally allows service animals in its buildings, classrooms, residence halls, meetings, dining areas, recreational facilities, activities and events when the animal is accompanied by an individual with a disability who indicates the service animal is trained to provide, and does provide, a specific service to them that is directly related to their disability. Stanford University may not permit service animals when the animal poses a substantial and direct threat to health or safety or when the presence of the animal constitutes a fundamental alteration to the nature of the program or service. Stanford University will make those determinations on a case-by-case basis.
- Facility schedules are subject to change for special events.
- The Rec and Wellness Staff is not responsible for lost or stolen items.
- Personal locks are strongly encouraged for the day use lockers in the Fitness Center. The Fitness Center is not responsible for lost or stolen articles from the day use lockers. No bags or backpacks are permitted on the Fitness Center Floor. Locks are available for sale and annual or quarterly lockers are available for rent.
- Personal Training or Group Fitness Training is restricted to only those individuals that have been specifically employed by Stanford University for the purpose of being a Personal Trainer or Group Exercise Instructor. Any participant observed or even assumed to be receiving or providing individual or group training by someone that is not employed by Stanford University for the specific purpose of being a personal trainer or group exercise instructor will be asked to cease the activity and may have their access suspended or revoked. An individual may be approached and questioned regarding unauthorized personal or group fitness training if he/she appears to be exhibiting any of the following (but not limited to), or related behaviors:
- Writing and/or designing a fitness or workout program for a patron.
- Explaining and providing exercise directions to a patron or group of patrons.
- Assisting a patron with technique, or any specific instruction, but not exercising with that individual during all portions of the workout.
- Directing exercise order or duration for a patron.
- Assisting a patron with equipment and adjustments.
- AUDIO/VISUAL: To avoid unwanted noise and for safety purposes, ONLY personal headphone audio systems are allowed. Members may use media devices to take photographs and videos in Recreational Sports programs and facilities. Media determined to be inappropriate, degrading, harassing or not authorized by the subjects captured is prohibited. Any use of media for commercial use and/or profit is prohibited unless approved by the Stanford Recreation and Wellness. Unless previously approved by Stanford Recreation and Wellness, the use of musical instruments and/or amplified sound is prohibited.
- CELL PHONES: Please minimize the use of cell phones in any activity area and the locker rooms. For safety purposes and the enjoyment of all members, please only use cell phones in the lobbies, hallways, administration areas, and conference rooms of the Stanford Recreation Facilities. Please refrain from texting or calling on a cell phone while using any piece of exercise equipment.
Recreational Facility usage carries with it the responsibility of appropriate conduct. Violation of any rules or abusive or irresponsible behavior may results in a suspension of privileges. As needed, Stanford University Public Safety can and will be called to help enforce these policies.
- All users must be 18 years of age or be a matriculated Stanford student.
- Please refrain from talking on cell phones on the fitness floor.
- Please keep beverages in a spill-proof container. No glass containers.
- For participant safety, loose items are not allowed on the fitness floor. Please store all personal items (bags, coats, etc.) in a locker, these are not allowed on the fitness floor due to safety concerns. The Fitness Center and its employees are not responsible for lost or stolen property.
- For hygiene and safety reasons, participants are required to wear proper workout attire. Shirts, shorts/pants, and clean, closed-toes shoes are required. Shirts must be worn at all times and undergarments must be covered by clothing previously listed. Bare skin contact is not recommended. To protect the upholstery and equipment, denim jeans (or shorts) and/or pants with belts and/or exposed metal (buttons, snaps, rivets and/or zippers) are not permitted in the Fitness Center.
- Please clean all equipment after each use including mats.
- Please re-rack all bars, weights, and dumbbells and return all equipment back to its proper place after use.
- Use safety clips and collars on all free weight bars.
- Only Stanford Recreation approved Personal Trainers are allowed to conduct training sessions.
- Report all injuries or incidents to staff on duty.
- Filming, photography or postings on the fitness floor must be pre-approved by a Recreation Staff member. Please contact the Associate on duty for more information.
- Stanford Recreation reserves the right to change or amend these policies as deemed necessary for the safety and functionality of the facility, program or activity. Compliance with staff is expected at all times.
- Exercise at your own risk.
- You must be at least 18 years of age to use the LKSC Fitness Center.
- The LKSC Fitness Center and its employees are not responsible for lost or stolen property.
- Proper workout attire including a shirt, shoes, shorts or pants, and closed toe/heel shoes are to be worn in the Fitness Center AT ALL TIMES. Jeans, cargo pants, slacks, skirts, dresses, sport bras alone, speedos, open toe/heel shoes, scrubs or bare feet are not permitted.
- Bags of any type or personal belongings are not allowed on the gym floor or near the equipment. Please use the lockers to store all personal belongings.
- Please wipe down exercise equipment after use.
- Only medical, graduate and biosciences students in the school of medicine are allowed to use the facility.
- Please report any facility related injuries or incidents to the staff on duty or fitness center manager.
- Failure to comply with any of the above policies may result in temporary or permanent loss of Fitness Center privileges.
- One locker per SUID
- You must have a valid SUID to rent a locker.
- Payable by credit card or check (checks made out to “Stanford University”) only and all sales are final.
- Lockers are non-transferable.
- The locker rental period follows the academic school year calendar.
- By renting a locker, the renter agrees that Stanford Recreation is not responsible for the contents of the locker or disposal thereof. Stanford Recreation is not responsible for the items inside the locker if the locker is left unsecured for any period of time. The renter also agrees that if his/her SUID becomes invalid at any time during the rental period of the locker, the Stanford Recreation staff will remove all items from the locker and will lose the rights to that locker.
- It is the sole responsibility of the locker renter to be aware of deadlines for renewals. If the occupant does not want to renew at the end of the rental period, personal items will need to be removed before the locker expiration date.
- All lockers must be renewed by the expiration date.
- Lockers not renewed or vacated by the expiration date will be emptied and personal belongings will be bagged and stored in the AOERC for 30 days.
- To reclaim items, patrons must present their SUID at the AOERC.
- Any unclaimed emptied locker items will be donated to charitable organizations or discarded, and is no longer the responsibility of Stanford Recreation.
- Emptied locker items cannot be shipped.
- No bags or other large personal belongings are permitted in the studios. Participants must secure all bags in day use lockers.
- Equipment in the closets, as well as the stereo system, is off limits unless partaking in a supervised class. For those groups approved to utilize the fitness equipment and stereo, please get the Manager on Duty to unlock the closets and stereo system. When you are finished please let the Manager on Duty know so that they can lock the closets and stereo back up. If you have any questions about available equipment or stereo usage please ask the Manager on Duty.
- Personal Equipment (not owned by Stanford University) being used in this room or facility may be inspected by the Manager on Duty before use. This includes equipment that students or members of the group bring in for class, exercise or rehearsal purposes and equipment brought in by the group leader or the instructor.
- Shoes are PROHIBITED in the martial arts mat room at all times.
- Do not lean or exercise on the windows or mirrors.
- Shoes must be worn at all times in the exercise studio unless partaking in a prior approved Martial Arts, Yoga, Pilates or Academic Dance Program.
- No food or drink, other than water in a closed container, in the studios.
- Please put all equipment back in its place before exiting the rooms.
- During any activity with the potential to involve contact, individuals should place the highest priority on safety for themselves and others and do so with the proper training and instruction.
- Sparring that involves blows to the head is strictly prohibited unless prior approval is received by the Rec and Wellness Department.
- Swords, nun-chucks and similar martial art weapons are prohibited unless prior approval is received by the Rec and Wellness Department.
- Organized matches are prohibited.
- Equipment deemed potentially damaging to the, mat, mirrors, and floor or dangerous to the participant(s) is prohibited, as determined by the Rec and Wellness Staff.
- Individuals with skin infections, open lesions, or open cuts are not allowed on mat.
- If there is blood on the studio floors, activity must stop immediately. Notify a Rec and Wellness staff member for proper clean-up.
- When not in use by varsity teams and events, the Ford Center is available for intramurals, club sports and open gym time available to SUID card holders.
- All participants and coaches will remain in the Atrium until Varsity Practice is over.
- Outside user group participants are asked to arrive no more than 15 minutes before practice begins and adhere to their practice times designated in their rental/use agreement.
- Inappropriate conduct in the locker rooms will not be tolerated. This includes running, loud destructive behavior, and horseplay.
- Participants must store their personal belongings in the designated area.
- To avoid any conflicts with our daily operations, participants must clear the locker room promptly at the conclusion of practice.
- Anyone that has obtained permission to film/photograph must identify themselves to facility staff prior to starting.
- Individuals must respect patron privacy and cannot solicit members to participant in film/photo shoot.
- Film/Photo shoot must stay in pre-approved area only. No one is allowed to film/photograph in the locker rooms.
- During the photo/video shoot, all participants must adhere to all Recreational Sports and Fitness policies.
All Recreational Facilities (ACSR, AOERC, Ford Center, and Avery Aquatic Center) have a lost and found located at the front desk. Items are only kept for one week. After one week:
- Towels, water bottles, lunchboxes, notebooks, and swim goggles will be discarded
- Clothing will be donated.
- Items of value that can be identified to a certain individual (ie. IDs, wallets, iPods, jewelry) will be sent over to Public Safety.