On this page:
Stanford boasts one of the highest quality collegiate climbing facilities in the nation. Climbing is open to Stanford affiliates, and routes are designed to be accessible to everyone – from beginners to experienced climbers.
Our climbing facility is located within one of the two major recreation centers on campus: Arrillaga Outdoor Education & Recreation Center (AOERC).
Youth and Family Access
Youth and Family Access Climbing Hours are Friday / Saturday from 10 AM – 4 PM.
- Children under 18 years old are allowed to climb during Youth and Family Access hours.
- The minimum age to climb is 4 years old.
- Only two participants under 16 years old are allowed per adult.
- Children under 16 years old must be under direct supervision by an adult at all times.
- Children who boulder may not exceed a height of two-times their body length.
- Participants under 16 years old cannot belay.
- In order to top-rope, children must be accompanied and belayed by a belay-certified adult.
Climbing Wall FAQ and More Info
- ALL bags MUST be stored in lockers OUTSIDE the climbing wall.
- Locks are available for purchase or rent at the AOERC front desk.
- Rental shoes and harnesses will be available. Socks must be worn with rental shoes.
- Capacity: 45 climbers.
- Bouldering, auto-belay, and top rope usage are available at this time.
- Liquid chalk and powdered chalk contained in chalk socks are allowed.
- We are currently offering Top Rope Belay Lessons and Youth and Family Access.
Join us for our monthly climber coffee meet-up at the Outdoor Center! Meet fellow climbers, enjoy free coffee, and talk about current events in the climbing world. This event is open to all, regardless of experience, on the first Tuesday of every month. Bring your own mug!
Tuesday, April 4, 8:00 AM - 10:00 AM
Tuesday, May 1, 8:00 AM - 10:00 AM
Tuesday, June 6, 8:00 AM - 10:00 AM