Stanford Pre-Orientation Trips (SPOT)
On this page
What is SPOT?
Stanford Pre-Orientation Trips are immersive, outdoor experiences that take place the week before New Student Orientation and are designed to ease the transition of students to life at Stanford as well as foster Stanford Identity, community, and personal growth through activity, self-reflection, and mentorship.
Cost: $450 with $50 due at registration. Financial aid is available. The balance will be billed to your Stanford account.
SPOT 2022 Registration Dates
The SPOT Lottery Application opens on Thursday, June 9 at 8:00 AM PST and closes on Wednesday, June 15 at 5:00 PM.
SPOT 2022 program dates: Thursday, September 15 - Tuesday, September 20 at 7:30 am PST.
Trips and Types
- SPOT trips are five and a half days long and are aimed at easing your transition to life at Stanford.
- SPOT finishes immediately before New Student Orientation.
- There are no experience requirements for SPOT.
- SPOT offerings include adventures in Basecamping and Wilderness Backpacking. They are all open to all experience levels! No experience necessary!
What about physical ability, camping experience or other prep?
SPOT isn’t about physical exertion, but instead the immersive experience, preparing for college and getting to know your group and leaders! Some trip types involve hiking and camping. No problem if you are new to this sort of thing — most are! That being said, all trips involve physical activities and your own human power to either carry your food/gear to a campsite or destination.
SPOT leads the Stanford Experience by…
- Empowering personal growth through challenge, self-reflection and mentorship.
- Developing awareness of interconnectedness and value of community within the Stanford environment.
- Contributing students to the campus community prepared to actively participate and lead.
Be a part of THIS Stanford tradition and have a ton of fun doing it!
Point ReyesLearn more
How to Register
- SPOT Registration opens during the summer quarter. For 2022, the dates are June 9 – 15, 2022.
- Placement will be decided by a lottery process in cases where the registration exceeds the number of spaces.
- Once your registration is confirmed and you’ve been placed on a SPOT trip, you will receive an email with details about your trip.
- Download and READ your welcome packet and equipment list
- You need to complete a Medical History form and Gear Request form and sign a waiver of liability by August 6th.
- Arrive on campus Thursday, September 15th around 1 PM.
The following two forms are required for each individual to participate in SPOT. Each form must be completed fully in blue or black ink, signed and dated, with original copies returned by mail or in-person by August 6th to: SPOT, 285 Santa Teresa St, Stanford, CA 94305.
Medical History Form
Please double check that you have completed each and every line and include all allergies and medical information that is pertinent to your ability to participate in SPOT.Fill out the form here
Assumption of Risk Form
Front and back. A parent or guardian must also sign this form if you will still be under 18 when the trip begins.Fill out the form here