Outdoor Center Equipment Rentals Overview
Stanford affiliates and members alike are welcome to rent from our equipment rental services at the AOERC Outdoor Center. The Outdoor Center has what you need to keep you going on your trip or vacation, from tents and backpacks to paddleboards and kayaks.
Whether you are looking for gear to enjoy some easy hikes in the area or something more adventurous, you'll find all the equipment you need at great prices.
Student Membership – $20.00
- Lasts one calendar year from the date of purchase
- First access to trip sign ups
- Special member pricing for gear rentals
- Rent for yourself and up to one other person
Staff and Faculty Membership – $30.00
- Lasts one calendar year from the date of purchase
- Special member pricing for gear rental
- Rent for yourself and the members of your household*
- Equipment Rentals
- Equipment rental is open to students, alumni, staff, faculty, and all Stanford affiliates with access to the Arrillaga Outdoor Education & Recreation Center. Remember to bring your University SUNet ID and a debit card, VISA, MasterCard, Discover, or Apple Pay when you check out. The Stanford Outdoor Center does not accept cash or checks.
- Equipment rental is available on a first-come, first-serve basis. - Adventure Program members and non-members are allowed to rent a maximum of 2 items per category, per order (i.e. 2 backpacks, 2 tents, 2 kayak packages, etc).
- Any equipment rental requires the completion of the Gear Rental Agreement, which can be filled out at the time of check out. It is the responsibility of the renter to check the condition of the equipment at the time of check out.
- Equipment Returns
- All rental equipment is due 30 minutes before closing time on the return date. Rental equipment brought in half an hour or less before closing time will be asked to return the following business day and will be subject to late fees if applicable.
- Equipment must be returned clean and dry upon inspection. Equipment returned soiled or damaged will be charged a cleaning and/or damage fee. Cleaning and damage fees will be determined by Outdoor Center Staff on a case-by-case basis. Cleaning expectations will vary depending on the item - please ask a staff member if you have questions.
- Lessee is responsible for the full cost of replacement if gear is damaged, lost, or stolen.
- Equipment rentals must be returned by the lessee whose account the equipment is under.
- Tent Rental: Tent rentals are required to be set up at the Outdoor Center upon return by the lessee. All tent components are to be in good condition upon staff inspection. Lessee will not be permitted to return tents that they do not set up, and late fees will accrue.
- Water Equipment Rental: All equipment rentals under the water category must be rinsed with fresh water before being returned by the lessee. Remove any mud, sand, or vegetation when you leave the water. All water components are to be clean, dry, and in good condition upon staff inspection.
- Equipment Available
- Gear will be rented on a first-come, first-serve basis. Quantities may be limited. Cost of a rental item is calculated by taking the Base Price and multiplying it by the Rate "multiplier"
- Weekend (2-4 days): Base Price X 2
- 1-Week (5-7 days): Base Price X 3
- 2-Week (8-14 days): Base Price X 4
- For each additional week after 14 days, add 2 to the multiplier. View our available equipment!
- Rental Cleaning and Sanitation
- We thoroughly clean and treat all rental gear with CDC-recommended cleaning solutions.
- We are continuously monitoring for updated recommendations and guidelines from the CDC and will update our processes accordingly.
- All sleeping bags go through our commercial laundry systems and are treated with laundry additives to fight viruses and bacteria.
- Gear such as tents, backpacks, and sleeping pads are hand-washed, dried, and stored for 48 hours before returning to the rental inventory.
- All product surfaces are cleaned with CDC-recommended disinfectants.
- All staff who handle gear are required to use disposable gloves and use sanitizer in between stations.
- We have extremely high standards regarding warehouse cleanliness and ensuring these standards are maintained to the highest degree. We are frequently sanitizing all surfaces throughout the warehouse.
Frequently Asked Questions
Who can access the rental equipment services at the Stanford Outdoor Center?
Equipment rental is open to students, faculty and staff, alumni, and all Stanford affiliates with access to the Arrillaga Outdoor Education & Recreation Center and a valid Stanford identification card.
Are there any restrictions on what I am allowed to rent and how many items?
Adventure Program members and non-members are allowed to rent for themselves and one other person. You have a limit of 2 quantities per item, per category (i.e. 2 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks, 2 kayak packages, 2 surfboards, etc).
You have access to almost all items listed on our rentals page, with the exception of whitewater kayak packages, which require an Outdoor Center Manager approval. For more information, please reach out to an Outdoor Center Manager and/or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
What kind of gear do you rent?
Visit our rentals page to see what's available at the Stanford Outdoor Center.
Can I make a reservation online?
No. Equipment rental is available on a first-come, first-serve basis with the exception of Group Rental Requests. For more information on Group Rental Requests, please reach out to an Outdoor Center Manager and/or email email@example.com.
Is there a half-day rental option?
Not right now–the minimum rental period is one night. This includes one day for pickup and one day for return.
Can I swap out gear during my rental period if I want to try something different?
Possibly! Give us a call at (650) 736-7768 to check on availability. Additional rental rates may apply.
How do I use my rental gear?
Our rental specialists at the Outdoor Center will gladly show you how to use and adjust your rental gear when you pick it up. If you don’t have time to chat with an employee in-store, you can find loads of great guidance online through specific brands and in REI’s Expert Advice articles.
What comes in your inflatable paddleboard and kayak packages?
You can see the contents of each package on our Rental Gear Pricing page. Feel free to reach out to an Outdoor Center staff member for more information on what’s included and the exact brands and models.
Do you rent downhill skis?
No. We offer cross-country skis and backcountry skis, in which the heels of the ski boots do not lock. For downhill skis and other snow equipment that are not listed in our rental offerings, please visit Sports Basement or The Ski Renter of Mountain View.
Do I have to wash it before I return it?
Equipment must be returned clean and dry upon staff inspection, with the exception of sleeping bags and sleeping bag liners. Equipment returned soiled or damaged will be charged a cleaning and/or damage fee.
It is the responsibility of the renter to check the condition of the rental equipment at the time of checkout. The renter must keep the equipment in reasonably the same condition as when received.
If there are any damages on the item prior to check out, please take photos of the damages and contact an Outdoor Center Manager and/or email firstname.lastname@example.org to ensure that you are not held liable for these damages.
Can I return my friend's equipment rental order?
Possibly! Equipment rental must be returned by the renter whose account the equipment is under. We like your friends, but we want to see you!
If you are unable to return your equipment rental order, we will make an exception if an arrangement has been made and communicated to an Outdoor Center Manager at email@example.com at least 24 hours in advance. Proof of communication is required. If a friend returns your rental equipment without an approved arrangement, they may be turned away by Outdoor Center staff and late fees will apply.
Do I need to bring my whole group to pick up our rentals?
For most rentals, we just need the primary renter present at rental pickup, but there are some exceptions: mountaineering boots and rigid crampons, ski equipment rentals, surf wetsuits, scuba masks, and dive fins. We need to make sure the fit for each renter is sized correctly, so we strongly recommend each renter be present.
Rental Policies & Fees
All sales are final. We do not offer refunds on rental orders or items purchased from our store. Equipment rental is available on a first come, first-serve basis with the exception of Group Rental Orders.
To get a full refund on a Group Rental Order, you’ll need to cancel your reservation 72 hours or more before your pickup date. If an order is canceled within 72 hours before the date of pick up, there will be a charge of 50% of total order cost. To cancel a reservation, please reach out to an Outdoor Center Manager and/or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Rentals returned before their due date will not result in refunds for unused days.
If your gear is returned late, we’ll charge the daily base rate for each night the gear is late.
Items returned excessively dirty or wet may result in a cleaning fee. The minimum fee is $10 or the first-night rental rate.
If the gear is damaged beyond normal wear and tear, we reserve the right to charge shop rates for repair. If gear is damaged beyond repair, the customer will be charged the full retail price minus the rental fee. Contact us at email@example.com and we’ll get you the details.
Renter is responsible for the full cost of replacement if gear is damaged, lost, or stolen. Any items not returned will result in a charge up to the full retail value of the missing items, minus any rental fees already paid. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll get you the details.
Rates and Payment
How much does it cost to rent each type of gear?
Visit our rental rates page to see the latest pricing for members and non-members.
What do I need to bring with me?
You'll need your Stanford identification card and a form of payment. We accept credit/debit cards and Apple Pay. We do not accept cash or checks.
All equipment rental orders require the completion of the Gear Rental Agreement form, which can be filled out and submitted at the time of checkout.
Do you offer group discounts?
Do I qualify for a group rental?
Group rentals are excellent for retreats, friends and family camping trips, and other outdoor events. To get started, see if you qualify for a Group Rental Reservation. There is a minimum of 2 nights Group rental items are charged at non-membership base rates
In order to start your group rental reservation, contact an Outdoor Center Manager and/or email email@example.com.
Reservations are not confirmed until we contact you and our staff has sent you a receipt. Your payment is processed at the time of checkout.
Do you accept last-minute group rental requests?
Group rental requests must be placed for a minimum of 10 business days to be considered before the date of rental pickup. Date, time, and equipment quantities cannot be adjusted after a group rental request has been approved and processed 10 business days before the date of rental pickup.
Group rental requests made within 5 business days in advance are available but will be charged a mandatory fee of $50 for expedited service if the rental requests are approved by an Outdoor Center Manager.
If you need to cancel and get a full refund on a Group Rental Order, you’ll need to cancel your reservation 72 hours or more before your pickup date. If an order is canceled within 72 hours before the date of pick up, there will be a charge of 50% of the total order cost. To cancel a reservation, please reach out to an Outdoor Center Manager and/or email firstname.lastname@example.org.